Sunday, July 25

It's hard to believe that a week ago today we were flying over the Atlantic to get back home. Resuming normality has been much easier than I had anticipated. I was so tired of living out of a suitcase that we were completely unpacked the next day; a record for the Teaff's following a long trip. Seriously, someone should call the record books. What made our welcome home so wonderful (aside the fact from just being back on Texas soil) was that we were surprised to find that Chris and Erica, two of our good friends, had cleaned our house, mowed the yard, washed our sheets, etc. No gift or party could be a more perfect surprise. I called Erica in tears because I could  not believe anyone could be that kind......or crazy. But if you know these two, kind and crazy sum them up fairly well. :)

I guess I should summarize our last week in Ireland. The weather was a bit more fickle than it had the entire time I was there. The kids quickly learned that they would not melt in the rain. A fine lesson to learn if you ask me. Bless their hearts, they were riddled with jet-lag the first few days, and as a result were exhausted during the day and wondered around at night. They adjusted after about two days or so and we were off and running. Can you guess what they were most excited about as they walked the streets of Dublin? The people, the sites? Nope. Pigeons. Yes, my small town kids spent much of their time scaring and/or chasing pigeons. Go figure.

They both wanted to see a castle, so we took them to Malahide Castle in the initial days. They were so excited to take their first train ride, but excitement quickly wears down when you are exhausted and are fighting with your sibling. It was a bit of a trek to the castle once we arrived in Malahide. They perked up a bit when we passed by an awesome playground. We had to tip the scales in our direction so we told them after the castle we could go play. They reluctantly agreed and we headed up the long drive. Robert and I loved the castle. The kids? Well, you give them castles--they wanted castle ruins. So it goes with kids. They had a blast at the playground and it was cool to see them making friends with all kinds of kids, Irish, Chinese, English, etc.

We went to Bray one day and took them to the beach and them the aquarium. I think, that was one of our favorite trips. The beach is full of sea beaten rocks and we had the brilliant idea to take some so that we could display them once we got home. Robert regretted that idea about a hour after lugging rocks in his backpack. Well, we are home now........and those rocks were a brilliant idea. They are beautiful.

Last big trip was to Powerscourt house and gardens. Gorgeous. All six of us went. A quick train ride to Bray and then caught a bus to Powerscourt. The bus driver even let the kids sit in the driver seat and take pictures. The kids favorite part was Tower Valley, where an old watch tower was built and you could walk to the top. I got some great pictures.

I was sad to say goodbye to Dublin, but it is wonderful to be home. After one eight hour plane ride, (the last two of which I was about to loose my mind since the plane was jolted around with turbulence), a delayed connection and two lost bags, not to mention two tired children--I was ready to get home.

I learned a lot. I learned that I am much braver than I had ever given myself credit for. I learned that I can go after what I want and not have to apologize for it. I learned that the world is much more that what is in my little universe. I learned that the people in other corners of the world pay attention to the US and our actions and reactions. The Irish love to ask about Obama. They are laid back and friendly--not too much of a stretch from my Texas roots. It has been a roller coaster ride, both exciting and scary. I have taken a part of Ireland home with me. But as the story goes, there is no place like home.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, so thankful that all are home safe and sound but so glad you had this wonderful experience and that you were so good to share through this blog. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete