Friday, July 2

the Cliffs of Moher

I know, I know--I am neglecting my blog lately. It was really a good friend of mine while I was here alone, so it would be hasty to stop blogging now. Robert and I went to the Cliffs of Moher today. It was the one thing on Robert's list of "things to see". I signed us up for a day tour before he arrived and I am so glad that I did. Although it was a tad chilly and the wind was relentless, the cliffs are so worth the obstacles to get there--rain, wind, driving, tiny European buses. Besides, the company I have been taking all my trips with is really good about informing us about the area and stopping at out of the way little places that we would never never known about, let alone stopped at. We drove through Limerick today and if you haven't heard, Limerick has been dubbed "stab city". We drove by a judges home and our guide point out the fact it was riddled with bullet holes. Apparently, he had recently locked some drug dealer up and was subsequently put on a hit list. Crazy. I only thought that happened in the movies/

We got to the cliffs around noon and the sun was shining. Some people go to the cliffs and never actually see them due to fog and rain. We were considerably lucky. Our first stop was paying 2 Euro to climb to the top of O'Brien's watchtower. Literally, you felt like you were on top of the world. We then hiked down the edge of the cliffs. Some of the hike is lined with a stone wall. At the end of that wall is a sign warning people about going further. Those that ignore the sign have to climb over part of that wall to see an unobstructed views of the cliffs. I won't tell you which group we fell into, but you could probably guess. We found a perfect spot and crawled up to the ledge and laid there looking at the Atlantic Ocean from the edge of Europe. We could have still been there now if the bus would have waited on us, but we had other places to see.

We headed down the road through Doolin. Adorable little village by the ocean. It was here that the universe spoke again. I had taken a picture of another watch tower with the ocean on it's left. I was surprised how good the picture turned out due to the fact it was taken through a plate of glass on a moving tour bus. After lunch, Robert and I walked into a art gallery featuring scenes of areas in Ireland. Yes, exact drawing of my exact picture. Score! I was so excited. I had been wanting a reason to take home some type of art work. Robert couldn't even provide a reason for leaving that piece at the gallery.

Next, the Burren. This is an wild and sparsely populated part of Ireland, but you couldn't help loving it.

Long drive home. But we are here. Robert is uploading pictures of our trip as I type this (yes, we are that lame couple that has two lap tops, then proceeds to comment one another on them, while we sit on the same couch). I will get him to tag me, so my FB friends can see. Our Internet connection is a bit sketchy in this apartment, so uploading pictures has been difficult.

Tomorrow a free day. I think we are going to roam the coast on the DART. Sunday is Giant's Causeway and Derry up in Northern Ireland. By Monday, I will have been to four edges of Ireland. We are also off to Scotland in a few days, so with all the trips coming up hopefully I will have some good stories to tell.

Please excuse grammatical and spelling errors, I am running on empty at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you booked the Cliffs tour- the pictures are awesome. What a wonderful anniversary week you are having. Well, best not to linger in Limerick. Was not aware of its nickname. Can not wait for Scotland pics. RT reminded me that the game of golf was born in Scotland. The British Open is coming up soon. Glad DubIre is back -- I must have pulled it up a million times to get Thursday's report. Rain, rain and more rain here. I was concerned about the river trip but those babies will have fun rain or shine. I love you......Mom

    ReplyDelete