Wednesday, June 30

Sightseeing

Robert and I visited Christchurch yesterday. The crypt was the neatest part of the church for me and while it is big and beautiful (and had a mummified cat and mouse that were found in the organ), I am still in love with St. Audoen's church. We can see her from our window. We took the Ghost Bus tour last night and heard some pretty creepy ghost stories involving Bram Stoker, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the oldest cemetery in Dublin, body snatching (that apparently was a lucrative business) and St. Audoen's. St. Audoen's is home to the 40 Steps and is claimed to be the most haunted place in Dublin. Although some terrible things happened there--woman burnt at the steak, man claiming to see the devil, etc. I think many people loved the church and just want to visit on occasion. I took Robert back there today because he had not seen the inside. There is a stone in there that is suppose to bring your life good fortune when you touch it. We rubbed that thing like it was a genie lap. Since she is right next door, I told Robert that I want a picture of me kissing it before I leave. We also had a chance to talk to one of the guys that work there and he was nice enough to tell us more things about the church and when we told him it was our 10 year anniversary, he let us sit by the organ in the chapel for a picture. He said he normally doesn't do that, so we felt pretty special. Thanks Bec for suggesting we go there in the first place. It was your idea initially!

Since Robert has never eaten at a Hard Rock Cafe we went over there for lunch. After a 41 Euro meal and 70 Euro worth of T-shirts (one for him and one for both kids), I was more than happy to get out of there. You've seen one Hard Rock, you've seen them all. But what better place than Dub to go to your first one.

We also went to the Guinness Storehouse today. A really well put together museum. Really cool, actually. I salute Author Guinness. Robert had his first Guinness there and like me, he prefers the light beer. But you cannot leave there without having one. It was in the Gravity Bar on top of the storehouse that Robert got his first glimpse of Irish countryside--I think he is stoked to get out of the city. I know I am. The Cliffs of Moher are Friday!

I will try to get some pictures up on here. Although, some of them are on FB too.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like y'all are having a great time. Wow, some very interesting stories. I would love to see all the old churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time yesterday. Yes the harde rock was a little pricey, but it was a great day. Tomorrow the Cliffs!!!

    ReplyDelete