Friday, May 28

Next Station: Howth


Today we hopped on the DART and headed north. We got off the train at Howth to do some hiking and sightseeing. The hike was amazing. I don't think any walk I have ever done could really be considered a hike until today. Howth has managed to make everything uphill. I don't think we ever walked down a hill. My legs were screaming at me. And you all know that I can give them hell.  Too bad they didn't get to see what I did. In all my shelter little life I have ever seen such beautiful scenery. I am a Texas girl through and through, but the Gulf of Mexico is nothing compared to the sea waters we saw today. It was not littered with oil rigs in the distance, but went on and on with colors of blue, green, and turquoise.  Luckily, we kept in tune enough to the trail and managed not walk right into the ocean--because I could totally see how that would be possible. Scroll down to see pics from the hike.

When we got back to town, we went out to eat. We are not familiar with Irish protocol, so we stood there like doofs until we were seated (I think we were supposed to seat ourselves). We should have just sat down, because our host sat us in the farthest corner in the back of the restaurant; and with my big, fat pack back I think I injured one or two of their clientele (remember, everything here is TINY). I think it was Bec's pink hair. They didn't want to draw in the riff-raff of Howth. Of course, in Ireland you have to ask for your ticket and since no one wanted to converse with us, we had to venture to the front not only with those back packs, but also fishing for wallets along the way. I did score us the most amazing raspberry brownies, so I forgot about the all the people I knocked over.

We stumbled on a cemetery as we strolled back to the train station. No one was there and the gate was open, so we walked in. In the middle of the cemetery was an old church.....built in 1041. Never in my life have I have been in the presence of that kind of history. I adore history and can spend the afternoon reading about different events or people that come to mind. Wikipedia, anyone? I wanted to sit down and talk with that church, but alas, no one there was talking--so we headed into town.

Today's observation of Ireland? The Irish do not take kindly to people in desperate need of a potty. You literally have to walk a mile out of your way to find one. I purposely don't let water touch my lips until I have scouted out every restroom in the vicinity. This will be a issue with the kids......and with my diet coke drinking husband. No one will leave our accommodations until they have visited the loo.


1 comment:

  1. I don't know who all is following you, but Sharon Mittel and I certainly are. However, with the comment about the semi-colon out of place, I may send you right over the edge. I can write pretty well, but for some reason grammer did not all soak into my head.

    We are loving your blog!!!Keep on telling us about all of the things that you experience, especially about how the Irish country and people are so different from us. So interesting...and the history...so exciting.

    Keep up the good work! Love ya, Beverly

    ReplyDelete