Saturday, June 26

Connemara

I am sitting here watching Robert's flight in real time and I thought it would make me calm. Nope opposite. He is over Missouri. I have a headache from thinking of the precious cargo on board. Good thing to keep in mind when the kids are in the air. I am going to need to be sedated. Luckily, Rob is usually the calming force in my storm.

Therefore, writing about my trip today will have to do as a distraction for now. Connemara today. I have successfully visited three corners of Ireland. This tour primarily consisted of driving through the countryside. We stopped in a pretty little village that I cannot recall the name right at the moment. We got to meander around the town for an hour and a half. There were some lovely ruins of an old Abby and......CONG.....that is the name.  Anyway, there was also a really nice German girl who was travelling alone and she asked if it would be okay if she walked with me. Absolutely. We took a path down to Asheford Castle, which was built in 1228. We were only able to roam the grounds because Asheford Castle is now a 5 star hotel and only residence are welcome inside. This castle is so posh that is has a heli-pad and Pierce Bronsen got married there. So I am pretty sure my bank accounted debited just by looking at it.

We then headed through parts of Connemara and then stopped at Ashleigh Falls. Another gorgeous place. Luckily my new German friend was there to take pictures of me. Walking around the falls we ran into a horse eating in the pasture along side. Like most animals I have come across here, it was awfully friendly and came up to the group and allowed everyone to pet him. As I turn to go back down the path and back to the bus I was gently nudged as if someone had bumped into me....it was the horse. Apparently, I was not moving down the path fast enough for him, so he nudged me out of the way and went passed. That really happened.

We went on to Kylemore Abby. Wowwww. Prior to becoming an Abby in 1920, the castle was a private home. The story was that Mitchell Henry, a wealth politician from Manchester, England built the castle for his wife, where they lived with their eight children, two of which drowned in the river below the castle. Which gave the place a tragic feel.

With the tour, you get a sparkling Irish guide who tells you about the area, Irish history, religion, takes on Northern Ireland and the English. It is so interesting to listen to them, because each of them have a different take on things. This guide was an atheist, who is indifferent to the English (because the war is over and "we should just get on with it and have a beer") and thinks it would be best if Northern Ireland was separated from Ireland and pushed off to sea, adding that England would even like to get rid of it, but they are stuck with it. The Irish people are the most tenacious and spirited people I think I will ever come across. There history is marred with tragedy and strife, but they have always rallied and remained steadfast. Truly amazing. If Irish history would be a lucrative career, I may have to study it. Like I have said before, I can always find a way to study it.......I'm here, aren't I?

Side note: loved the German girl. She was organized, punctual, smart, and is fluent in three languages (I was envious). She wants to be a translator. Beside her native language, she is fluent in English and French, is an only child, but has several cousins ages two to 32. She went to France for a year to study and swore off relationships when she met her current French boyfriend. She is meeting his family for the first time next weekend. The moment I swore off relationships--a 6'1" blond hair, blue eyed man walked into my life.....it happens.


Me on the bridge of posh hotel.
I shall call him Nudge.
Travel Buddies, we exchanged emails.
Nope, not a postcard...Klyemore Abby

Robert's flight looks like it is decending now!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are awesome. Yes, postcard pics. I am glad you had someone to buddy with on the tour. Rt looked at the pictures and said "wow two beautiful girls." Oh and he thought Klyemore Abby was gorgeous too. You will be fine when the kids are on their way, Robert will take care of things. When the kids were here they spent some time putting golf balls down the hall. A said he wanted to go out to the course, if we would have had the time we would have done it. He said he wanted to go out to the course with his Dad when they got home. Rt was so glad they had fun, he gave them each one of his putters and some golf balls. Looking forward to hearing about your fun! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete