Tuesday, June 15

In Anna Karenina, Tolstoy referred to boredom as "the desire for desires" (Yes, I have read Anna Karenina. Not my favorite book, but sits on my bookshelf as a personal badge of honor). Boredom can  be a real and strong feeling for some; often times synonymous with restlessness, loneliness and perhaps a lack of motivation border-lining on laziness. Through my time alone here I have been happy to discover that I am capable of battling boredom. There have been times that I struggle with it, clueless as to what to do with my time, much of it being spent in the company of a screen: TV screens, iPhones, and computers (yes, I know where I am, but I would like to think that this is somewhat productive). At times even feeling guilty for not being in motion all of the time. I am happy to report that I can live in the company of my own thoughts. For the last decade I have been surrounded by a kind of joyous, maddening chaos. Kids, school, and work keeping me busy all the time. Not to mention how busy it has kept Rob the past couple of years. Most of it I wouldn't trade for anything. Kids? Never. Robert? Are you kidding? He is my rock, my BFF, my BBQ-er. School? I think I just signed on for another four years. Gulp. What I will trade is letting lack of motion consume me with guilt and urgency to get something done. I will no longer sit on my rear thinking about how much I would like to be doing something. I can read, play games with the kids, go for a run. Sure, there will inevitably be "have to's" and normally I welcome them willingly, but I am going to make a conscious effort not to complain about having nothing to do and simply get up and do something-- which in Sonora will undoubtedly be a challenge. Rest assured that if I want to sit and veg out in front of the TV so be it. Those that know me best know that boredom and down time are my nemesis. So, I will do what I can to banish boredom and how useless it is for me. That and Dr. Phil has said bored people are boring and I certainly don't want to be in that category.

Where did I come up with this epiphany? In sunny Dublin accompanied by no one except the insistent dialogue in my own head, which can be loud and annoying--especially at night. This is still not quite a developed thought, but I working on it.
So to sum this up--the desire for desires. When I want something to be accomplished I will get it done or I will shut up. I think what Robert and I have accomplished thus far in our life together is a testament to our willingness to make things happen when it proves to be what we view as the right thing for us. We may not get a fabulous house or trust funds for the kids out of it, but it works and that should be enough. 
 
Yeah, yeah you say but what did you DO today? Well, not much. Run, intern. I did try to catch the bus to go see the Titanic Exhibit. I missed the 3:05 bus my 10 minutes and I unfortunately, I would have been too late to make the last admission into the exhibit if I waited to the next one. The exhibit departs on Saturday, so I may have to ask Colum if I could leave a little early sometime this week. I will tackle to city bus system by week's end if anything!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment