Tuesday, June 8

Day 4 of No Sun

Rain, rain go away. I am going on day four of not seeing the sun. I didn't believe the hype on the rainy Irish weather...until today. I walked to the school with my umbrella, slacks rolled up and my hair in a frizzy and untamed bun on top of my head. I have to master the art of carrying an umbrella-I think I stabbed a couple of people with the ends of it and I know for a fact that I ran into a couple of lamp posts with it.

I got to start a new project today! I am really excited about it. Colum would like to instill some policies for activity launching by the Student Union. When I get on a roll, I have a hard time tapping the breaks. I sure I interrupted Colum's work several times with my "grand" ideas. I also have tendency to go on overdrive with details, so I hope that I help rather than hinder Colum's plans. I did let him know that I can focus my energies elsewhere if he thinks I am a run-away train full of unattainable goals. But he gave me the thumbs up--so all systems go.

I didn't do anything cool after I left the school. I had tunnel vision--I had to get a run in. I slept in today due to the rain and as I was walking to school, there was a girl out for a run down by the river. Yes, in the rain. My conscious immediately began berating me for not getting off my rear and getting it in early. So, I walked into the apartment around 3:30 and was pounding the pavement by 3:41. I found that running from oncoming traffic has really helped increase my speed. Either that, or the park that I run to is getting closer. I am inclined to believe the former. I am excited that despite not having the convenience of my usual route at home and the Wellness Center two minutes away, I am still able in maintain some routines from home. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Robert has been counting down the days and we have 18 to go until he get here. I am ready to have a few drinks with him at a pub and listen to some live music. I am almost at the point of going to grab a drink alone, but I am not that brave--and by brave I mean I am not ready to answer to the Garda (Ireland's equivalent of the US police) when Mom calls them to look for me. I certainly wouldn't put it passed her. :)

The week is essentially half over which means I have been here for 3 and 1/2 weeks. This time next week will mark the half-way point of my Ireland experience. It will certainly be a bittersweet benchmark.

2 comments:

  1. you are so great!!! i am at worlds end with out you around!!!! cant wait to just be around you and have our casual convos that we do everyday! You are the definition of a best friend!! (And of course wife!!!) Love you dearly!! talk to you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly right Sarah. Your Mom calls the police at the drop of a hat. Please wait for Robert to hit the pub. I love you and once again thank you for keeping this blog going. Robert thanks you too, because if it wasn't for the blog I would be calling him everyday.

    ReplyDelete