Wednesday, June 23

Swans, Seals, and Brave Birds

The sun stayed away for the most part today, but it was somewhat warm despite it. And by warm, I mean I put on my windbreaker on top of my cardigan when I headed to lunch. Some girls here have managed to wear shorts on these warm days, I can't seem to manage it yet.

Running this morning, I ran into six swans swimming together in the river. Now, I stop for almost nothing during a workout, but six swans on the Liffey--I am pausing for a quick picture on my phone. Another first? I actually past someone this morning. I know what you're thinking--yes, they were actually out for a run too. That never to rarely happens, so I received a confidence boost. However, if you choose to pass someone, you have to kick it into a higher gear so you won't get in their way. Think about when a car passes you on the highway then subsequently slows down. Infuriating, right? Therefore, I was a bit winded for a good portion of that run.

Today must have been a day for wildlife encounters, because I spotted another seal as I walked across the Sean O'Casey bridge heading to the school. Bless his (or her) adorable heart--he looked right at me when I stopped to get a picture of him (of course my shot is of him looking away--tease). The river was up this morning like it was when I spotted the first seal, so I was on the lookout. He was so cute.

Lunch found me with three birds hounding me for a piece of my sandwich. Dublin birds are extremely brave. But, unfortunately they are also camera shy, because they fled as I was slowly reaching for my camera.

I promptly came back to the apartment for a nap. I have been tired this week. Weariness and anticipation are the culprits I believe. I will get my second wind on Sunday at approximately 8:40am.

I did get some exciting news. I don't want to jump the gun on this, but if things pan out it will be an exciting development. I had emailed one of my professors from ASU who is the head of the program I graduate under this past May. I wanted to touch base with him and let him know that I was accepted to the PhD program that I applied to. He was kind enough to write one of my letters of recommendation and I wanted to thank him. Upon his reply, he congratulated me and asked if I would be interested in an adjunct position teaching a course within the program, perhaps in the next academic year. Interested? Are you kidding? When is the next flight home? I really enjoyed the program and loved the professors I had in it. Nothing would be cooler. But, as I said--I don't want to get too excited. He did say he MAY need the help. And I do have a great job now, but I would certainly consider moving on if this opportunity presents itself.

We shall see.....

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure it wan't seven swans a swimming? I saw a seal when I was in Oceanside. Fun to see them in their own element. So excited about the ASU news. Wow already almost Thursday... it won't be long. Thinking of you and trying to help Robert speed the time up. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete