Saturday, June 5

Free Day

My first day without a plan went well. I woke up ate breakfast then promptly went back to bed. I slept later than I have in.........well, since my sweet boy came along. I decided to walk down to Grafton Street and do some shopping. Just a couple of necessities, of course. There were several performers on the street during the weekend. One guy was playing Yellow Submarine on a harmonica. Think about how that song goes--several syllables in staccato nonetheless. It took some practice to master that tune...on a harmonica. I had not wondered through St. Stephen's Green since I have been here, so I decided to walk around the park for a bit. There are pictures below. As with everything else here--it was beautiful. Again, I took an alternative route to the apartment so that I could walk through the festival down by the river. It was very festive. Live music, crafts, food, the whole bit.

I decided to come back to the apartment to get rid of my bags and take a load off. I have a case of plantar fasciites that is flaring up, making extensive bouts of walking somewhat painful. I watched a movie during my break, then headed back down to the river to watch that swim. Now, I love a good swim, but there is no way in hell that I would have stripped down to my skivvies and gotten in that water. The clouds had rolled in and coupled with a cool breeze coming up the river--it was freezing. I stood on the Sean O'Casey bridge with the other spectators and watched as the participants swam under the bridge. I did not stay as long as I wanted because there were some ominous looking clouds that loomed in the distance and I was not going to be caught in my first Irish downpour. Especially since I opted to leave my backpack at that apartment--the one with my rain gear. Therefore I walked back through the festival and started heading back. I got a little lonely on the walk back, since everyone I passed had a companion. I was missing home. I am in this beautiful country in this amazing city and in the last week I have been doing everything alone. Don't get me wrong it HAS been amazing, but when I am dying to turn and comment on the weather or the great museum, there is no one there. Sometimes I get so enamoured with my 4.0, my resume, and experiences I forget that it would all be for nothing I didn't have anyone to share it with; ask Rob, I have a tendeny to worry and/or overreact at times. I don't forget it often (becaue I am sure some may read into my random thoughts), but I certainly won't after spending a month in Ireland without my peeps (that means--my people). When we first began to plan this trip Rob and the kids were suppose to come for six weeks, but as time went on, it was evident that it was not going to happen the way we had envisioned. Through this blog I definitely have become acutely aware of my emotional barometer. I go back and forth with my feelings. Bottom line--I am having a great time, it is spectacular here, but I am super stoked about getting my family here as well.

Well, it is time for bed. Tomorrow is another airport day to help fetch kids--beginning at 6:30am. Which means I will be up around 5am. Goodnight from Ireland.

1 comment:

  1. Your "peeps" will be there soon but I know it is hard to be alone where ever you.

    ReplyDelete