Sunday, June 20

Eloqeunt Nonesense: More Nonsense Than Eloquence For Me

One of the meanings of Blarney that I have come across is "eloquent nonsense". The word was used by Queen Elisabeth I when attempting to secure loyalty from the current Lord of Blarney. The Lord of Blarney responded to her requests with subtle accounts to loyalty without actually giving in to the Queen's demands. She would call the lord's words "(a lot of) Blarney" Thus the legend of the gift of gab is centuries in the making. If you look into it further, there are a few legends connected with the stone. My favorite is a story of two young people that fell in love. Trouble was, their families were bitter enemies. The two lovers had to meet in secret by the river that separated their parents' lands. One night, the young girl's brother saw the two by the river. He became angry and swiftly pulled out his bow and arrow; killing the boy. As the boy lay dying, his mother laid his head upon a stone. She later had the stone built into the castle. That was my favorite, but of course a legend. No one knows with certainty were the stone came from. The beauty of it is that you can believe what you wish about the stone.

If you have been reading this blog, I have made it abundantly clear that I visited Blarney Castle yesterday. No trip to Ireland (a least a nine week trip) is complete without visiting Blarney Castle. The castle was naturally amazing. Unlike other castles and museums I have visited, you could take pictures and roam through the castle with few limitations. I looked around the grounds for a bit then headed to the Blarney Stone, or more accurately: to the LINE to the Blarney Stone. What made the long line worth the wait was that you got to ascend the actual steps that people did years ago leading to the stone-- Which was one long, narrow spiral staircase totally over 100 steps. There was barely enough room for me and my backpack. If I turned one way or the other the backpack scrapped against the old walls. I was suffering from a bout of claustrophobia. The line feels like it goes pretty fast, because you are able to look out the narrow windows original to the castle and the old rooms and read about what they would have been. Once you get to the top you are literally on top of Blarney Castle. I also remember that I have a slight fear of heights--my heart was pounding once I emerged from the castle walls. But I was not going anywhere until I kissed that stone. That and after a certain point--you were going up, you had little choice. The view was totally worth it though.

As I was looking at the grounds below, I overheard several people say that they missed kissing the stone because they were unable to reach back far enough. Oh hell no, I was going to kiss that thing especially if I was going to hang myself upside down hundreds of feet in the air. I pulled up to the front of that line, positioned my butt and reached with all my might. Score! Now I have a priceless picture that will adorn my wall. I am sure Robert will love that. Oh and I purchased the quintessential T-shirt that announces that I have kissed the stone. I wore it today so I could be a sort of ambassador for Irish tourism (although I don't think it needs my help).

We then headed over the Cobh (pronounced cove) after Blarney. Cobh was the final port that the Titanic sailed from, a fitting compliment to the artifact exhibit. We were there on a great day as the Irish Navy was in port and they were performing demos for the crowd. They shot off flares and even busted out there helicopter. A cruise ship was also in port. I had never seen such a huge ship up close.

We also got to drive through Cork, Ireland's "second city". I was disappointed that we didn't get to spend some time there, but the stone beckoned. Apparently Cork is another popular tourist city, some preferring it to Dublin. Break to an overheard conversation between two Americans:

Girl: We just flew in today.
Boy: That's cool. Where to?
Girl: We decided to fly into Cork instead of Dublin.
Boy. You made a good choice, because Dublin is Mexico.

Now take what you want from that, but--1. I think he was insulting Dublin, which I feel a certain loyalty to and 2. He was also putting down Mexico, which I also feel some loyalty to. I have been known to have a beer in Acuna and on the beaches of Mexico and I intend to visit Mexico again. Being that I am anti-confrontational for the most part, I let it slide...:)

Today was another full day at the airport. I was there from 6:55am-almost 4:00pm. Ouch. Good news is it is my last full airport day and although I care about the well-being of the students that descend into Dublin, the next time I am there--I will get to be the one at the arrivals gate that jumps up and down in excitement. I am looking forward to that. The last time I was there with someone I loved, they were leaving...and let me tell you the arrivals gate is way more fun than the departure gate.

Next weekend I go to Connmara and Galway Bay. I go on Saturday to not only sight see, but to fill the long hours before Robert gets here on Sunday. It might be a slow blogging week until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment