Thursday, June 10

Taking Stock

Mom, I am sorry I did not get a chance to blog yesterday...I know you are the one that reads it daily and count on it to know that I am alive. I was actually busy all day yesterday. Aside from my regular day interning, I was invited to go to a play last night. I know! I was invited somewhere. Actually, the faculty member that invited me is a really nice guy and has made the effort to include me in the past. I felt like this time I should return some effort. Initially, I did not know what the play was going to be, but being the researcher that I am, I did a quick search on-line. The play took place at the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin and was an Oscar Wilde play, The Importance of Being Earnest; which is a comedic play. Being that it was an Oscar Wilde play was enough to get me there with bells on--The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favorite books, but what solidified my excitement was who was in it. Playing Lady Bracknell was none other than Stockard Channing! You know, Rizzo on Grease. She was fabulous. Look her up on Wikipedia if you are still uncertain of who she is. I have always liked her, so I was thrilled to see her in this play. I was unable to sit with the group at the theatre, since I was a bit of a tag-along, but that did not deter me. I scored an awesome seat right in the middle and fairly close to the stage. I also got to visit with a lovely older couple from New York who had just flew into Dublin that morning. Older couples love younger people who are in school, so they asked about my education and since I am a potential PhD candidate (I am still utterly nervous about that) and interning abroad--they lit up with questions. Anyway, the play was awesome and was actually funny, so I had a good time. Such a good time that I booked Robert and I tickets to see River Dance the day after he arrives.

I managed to get up early and go for a run on the river. I love running down the Liffey--it is more aesthetically pleasing than my other route to the park a mile or so away. Other than the occasional F*** and other slanderous remarks smeared on some of the railings by the river, it was a lovely run. I mean, my whole life can't be poetry, can it?

I went back over to Merrion Square to read after I had lunch today. Almost everyday I walk by the statue of Oscar Wilde as he looks onto his childhood home across the street. Yes, part of American College Dublin (which is the Dublin affiliate of IAU), is in Mr. Wilde's childhood home. Have I mentioned that? Bonus. When I first arrived, I was able to take a brief, private tour of the house. Which was phenomenal. Back to today: It never fails, there are always tourists that climb up by him and have their picture taken and I realized that I did not have my own picture of him. So, I posted a picture below so you can see what I do almost everyday.

Today, as I walked back , I made a conscious effort to take in what I was seeing. I have been walking lately with my eyes locked ahead. I get to walk over that river everyday, I walk by the Custom House and the Famine Memorial. I can describe the Famine Memorial in one word: haunting. The memorial depicts life sized people walking down the quays toward emigration ships in order to escape sickness and starvation that gripped Ireland in the mid part of the 19th century due to a potato blight. The one individual who is carrying, what I assume is his own child over his shoulders makes my heart hurt. It is arguable one of the most moving things I have ever seen, in person, on TV or other virtual means. If you ever go to Dublin, make an effort to see it. I realize that some of those that read this may roll their eyes at my descriptions, but if you are ever offered the opportunity to travel, make an effort to record what you are seeing and feeling because your memory is so random. For all the things I remember, I can only imagine those things that disappear. 

The sun is finally showing its face this afternoon and it is suppose to be clear tomorrow. I will be a happy girl.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you took the plunge and went to the play. I do not remember reading any Oscar Wilde but I did look him up and he was certainly a colorful guy. He died much too young.... I loved Stockard Channing in Grease-oh my! you and Rebecca must have watched it a million times. I think I sat in on that sometimes myself. Have pictured you running in Ireland, at the U talking to Colum, at the apt, etc. This blog enables me to do that. I love you dearly. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too. Stockard Channing was wonderful. I really like her.

    ReplyDelete